funsec mailing list archives

RE: Mac Security

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:42:04 -0600

Larry wrote:
Another relevant point I think is that the sort of
mass-scattershot techniques used against Windows are
effective, to the extent they are, because so many of the PCs
out there run Windows. The percentage of Macs reached overall
has to be low, and the percentage of vulnerable ones with
unsophisticated users will be lower. For this reason it's not
an economic use of cracking effort to attack Macs. This is
the "flying under the radar" argument.

Agreed that their small number overall does offer a sense of security,
even if it isn't entirely true.

Attacks against unpatched servers might be a more successful
approach, but we know how successful Apple is in the server market.

Poachers may have trouble finding the Black Rhino because it is
endangered (small groups), but that doesn't imply protection. Bill was
just telling mac users to keep looking behind their back....and don't be
complacent about security. He should be embraced in the mac world, not
yelled at for keeping watch.

-Todd