funsec mailing list archives

Re: Feds after Google data

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:55:05 -0500

On 1/19/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Fergie wrote:
Regarding said domain, what makes you think that some unscrupulous
people won't conduct nefarious activities in that TLD? Or conversely,
what makes someone think that all pr0n would move to .xxx?

If you put enough thought into a plan, it usually can be accomplished.

The answer: there is no assurance -- there is no Internet police.

DoS whitehouse.gov, and put up a kiddie porn site in the .com domain,
then tell me that again ;-). There are Internet police, they are
running wild around the web, maybe if we give em the reigns on a few
TLD's they might leave the rest of us alone (they need something easy
yet important to do to keep 'em busy and feeling appreciated)

Todd: have you been successful in keeping pr0n out of your subnets and
away from the clients cache? Can an OCR recognize boobies? I bet they
could. ;-)

To think so is an exercise is fantasy. ;-)

Shoot, my fantasy is to think about excercise

This is the theory "If you build it, they will go there", somewhat related
to that other, better-known fantasy "If you build it, they will come".

No this is the theory that kids are one of the biggest sources of
income (whether thats good or not is another mailing list), and that
if you make people jump through godawful hoops to get to them, they
will. Hoops to include:

Allowing colleges and schools first priority in posting content and
registering domains, the process would be easier for initial
registration for .edu and .gov ppl. This would build up the content
and pave the way for interested parties.

Require kids to go through an online-self-defence training course (on
online stalkers and how to report suspected ppl, etc) before getting
to the portals or namespace.

Companies who wanted to publish content for financial gain would have
to deposit enough capitol to make it worth their while _not_ to post
pr0n or inappropriate content. If no capitol was available (startup)
then perhaps a percentage of sales would go into the escrow account.
As an added bonus, this escrow account could be used to generate
income for schools via interest or some such.

Giving webbots the ability to pull sites, with the webbots 2nd cousins
handling the "I am soooo sorry about that mistake my friend made"
after accidentally pulling a legitimate site.

deur I dunno, but there are ways to make that work. Shoot, just give:
disney, cartoon network, and nickelodeon the "first registration" and
kids would flock to it. Mebe have an exclusive barney album release to
generate interest, but kids arent hard to manipulate (just ask ad
exec's: shiny things work best... well.. best next to sex... which is
why a .kids is needed in the first place :-(

BACK TO THE FUN!

-JP
"Big Bird scared the $hit outta me when I was a kid"
-JP