funsec mailing list archives

RE: Postage Is Due for Companies Sending E-Mail

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:34:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Larry Seltzer wrote:

Please re-read my example. I was supposing a (non-spam) mailing by an
ISP of 1 million, of which 100,000 goes to AOL members, which means a
cost of $1000.

Right. I was pointing out that in *reality*, GoodMail will bill on the
*total* volume, not the volume that goes to GoodMail customers.  So if
you send a mailing of 1M pieces of mail, of which *one* goes to AOL,
you're *still* on the hook for $10K.

I just got off the phone with Richard Gingras, co-founder and CEO of
Goodmail and asked him about this, among other things. As I suspected, it's
crap. The only messages for which senders are billed are the ones processed
by recipient ISPs (actually recipient MTAs I guess). You could send out all
1 million messages in your example with tokens, but only be billed for the
100,000 AOL customers (and any others which had Goodmail service).

And they have not finalized a rate card, but expect the cost to be in the
neighborhood of 1/4 cent per message.

I have to say I'm astonished at the amount of misinformation out there about
this service, and some of it is so naïve I can't keep a straight face
reading it. The Goodmail people seem to think that it's all been planted by
their competitors (Spamhaus and the like, I suppose) but I'm more suspicious
of credulousness in the press and a desire for a fantastic story ("Will you
have to pay for email from now on?!?!?!")

People believe what they want to believe. If the facts get in the way of
that, then the facts must be wrong, so you make up facts that support your
belief. Read Slashdot, you'll see what I mean.

Isn't it obvious that if you don't send your email via Goodmail, then
Goodmail won't be charging you?