funsec mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft and free speech

From: <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:03:29 -0500

Sure.

Late last year I was working on a project to make a subset of the .NET
framework callable from JavaScript code running in a .HTA application.  The
technology was called JS2NetBridge and was implemented as an ActiveX
control.  The control was written entirely in C#.  The C# code wrapped
selected .NET framework classes with classes which were callable from
JavaScript code from a COM interface.

To measure how well the JS2NetBridge control performed, I exported the WIN32
API function QueryPerformanceCounter as a method of the JS2NetBridge ActiveX
control.  This API function returns a timer value with a resolution under
one microsecond.  To measure the method calling overhead, I simply called
this method twice from a JavaScript test program, took the difference of the
two return results, and divided by 2.  To eliminate the overhead of the
WIN32 call, I wrote a second C# method which called QueryPerformanceCounter
twice in row and return the difference of the two results.

I ended up putting the JS2NetBridge technology on the shelf for reasons
unrelated to .NET itself and went a different direction.  My goal was to
create a JavaScript runtime library for .HTA applications.  For reasons I
still can't explain, Microsoft never provided a runtime library for .HTA
applications even though the technology is more than 5 years old.

This was the first time I worked with .NET and C# and I was very impressed
with the technology.

Richard