funsec mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Accounts

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:28:40 -0800

James Kehl wrote:
For instance, check out the Win64 file system redirector - needed because
somehow System32 is now the province of 64-bit DLLs. Funny, I would have
thought those would really suit a System64 directory...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win64/win64/file_system_redirector.asp

(Sounds like Win64's got a built-in rootkit! 32-bit virus scanners? Why
on earth would they want to see the filesystem as it really is?)

[Whups, sorry for OT-ness!]

My company has been having to code for that. (We make systems & patch management software for the enterprise.) That's been a little bit of a pain. There's a straightforward API you can call to turn it off from your 32-bit app. But really, you want different views at different times, so keeping track of that has been some work.

Plus, there are differences in things like ODBC connections. There are a different set of regkeys where the ODBC connections are defined for 32-bit apps and 64-bit apps. And if you simply open the Control Panel and look at the applet for them, you're seeing the 64-bit view. If you want the 32-bit view, you have to go find the 32-bit version of the control panel. Which is in a directory named WOW64.

Rant, rant, rant...

                                                BB