funsec mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Accounts

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:09:13 +1300

Vicky Røde wrote:

According to uac's own blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/), users will run
as a standard user even administrators. vista will be implementing
something similar to sudo to which i say, about time.

So the security model of Vista is designed to deliberately (and
irreversably??) break all those "mission critical" apps written way
back before any cared that much about security (because they hadn't
heard about that "Internet thing" yet) and all those more recent apps
written by a pack of gibbons that (read my recent post in this thread
for the rest...)??

Wow -- that will ensure no-one runs it...

If MS thinks the reason most folk who run NT-ish OSes with local admin
is because of stupidity, lack of clue about security infrastructure
improvements since NT 3.x, etc, then methinks they haven't done their
homework very well...

Mind you, MS is the company whose own, "NT compatible" or (whatever it
was back then) tested, certified and logo-ed (by MS' own certification
labs, of course) office suite could not be fully utilized on a modestly
well-locked-down NT system because parts of it insisted on writing
random-named temporary files into the program's install directory tree
(ever heard of %temp% guys?) and -- get this -- into sysdir, so I guess
it might not be entirely unlikely for them to still be that far out of
touch...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald