funsec mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Accounts

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:28:20 -0800

Larry Seltzer wrote:
I like the way the Mac does it, makes you quite comfortable as a
 regular user, and prompt for the password when you need to do something

that takes privs.

To be pedantic... I was under the impression that it wasn't a "priv", but rather the fact that I had the admin password. I haven't looked far under the covers yet, so I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

This is what Vista does.

I'll attempt to take advantage of your having looked into it and me not. Is Vista trying to get you to live without privs and get them as needed? Or is it trying to take the admin, and make them drop privs to do risky things? The latter has been attempted in the past, and I'm wondering if they have decided to do it the right way now.

                                        BB