funsec mailing list archives

Re: another VX site?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 00:48:01 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Oliver Schneider wrote:

By the way, there's no such word as "viri", and people who refer to
"viri" put themselves firmly in a group that you possibly don't want to
be seen as being a member of.
Have you consulted your favorite Latin dictionary in this matter? The word
"viri" exists and has the (not too harmless) meaning: "men".

The noun for "man" is vir, and isn't the root for the word "virus". So,
you'd talk about "One vir, several viri"? I think not. The word "virus"
means "poison", and the latin plural doesn't exist, because it's a mass
noun, like "helium".

But I agree in
one aspect: I wouldn't like to be seen as an Ancient Roman ;-P

Need proof? Let's ask one resource sometimes regarded as reliable and
sometimes not :-D ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus

OK, I looked. "In the English language, the standard plural of virus is
viruses."

But you go ahead and continue using the word "viri", clearly you do want
to be in the group of people using that word, despite what it tells
everyone about how 1337 you are.