funsec mailing list archives

Re: The AV.

From: James Kehl <shykta () dione ids pl>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:39:06 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Gadi Evron wrote:

It's slow, it's old, it's reactive, it's out.

It's good for detecting and controlling old threats and cleaning up
relatively old threats. I believe it will always be good and even
important for that.

Too right!

I'd say a crucial question is: why do we still have viruses? File
infectors should have died out with filesystem access control. Worms
should have died out with firewalls and Patch Tuesdays. Don't even mention
the "decrypt-this-zipfile-run-this-exe-and-then-die" emails.

What happened?

James