funsec mailing list archives

RE: Re: The AV.

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 07:15:42 -0500

The reason why it hasn't happened, is *not* because the AV companies don't
want to. It's because they don't know how to - and neither do I.

I'd like to add that AV is an extraordinarily competitive business. There
may be 3 big companies in it, but there are many more smaller and credible
companies than in almost any other category of software. It's also an
unusually international lot.

Many of these companies have made serious efforts over the years at
heuristic detection to break out of the signature box. It hasn't worked, at
least not well enough.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/