funsec mailing list archives

The AV.

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 03:39:42 +0200

Drsolly wrote:
In an ordinary collection of business computers (which means they're
mostly running Windows), do you think that AV is some sort of luxury extra?

I'd go as far as, on the user and engine side: it serves an important purpose, using a technology that was good at the floppy disk days. It still vastly uses the same technology and relies on the Internet mostly for nothing save updating.

It's slow, it's old, it's reactive, it's out.

It's good for detecting and controlling old threats and cleaning up relatively old threats. I believe it will always be good and even important for that.

Trying to fit it in a new box every few years doesn't work, and the industry itself is so stagnant it finds out about what I call "pop" Trojan horses and then spyware years after-the-fact.

So, you think packaging it with a new cool exterior every year or so, and a couple of nifty marketing features is going to do it?

This is not to say the AV isn't part of the solution or even an important part - I strongly believe in that, or to say most AV-ers aren't great guys - most of them are amazing. It just comes to say that the industry is inhibiting progress by sticking to it and sticking it to us.

        Gadi.