funsec mailing list archives

Re: The AV.

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:07:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, James Kehl wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Gadi Evron wrote:

It's slow, it's old, it's reactive, it's out.

It's good for detecting and controlling old threats and cleaning up
relatively old threats. I believe it will always be good and even
important for that.

Too right!

I'd say a crucial question is: why do we still have viruses? File
infectors should have died out with filesystem access control.

There isn't any filesystem access control on most of the computers people
are using.

Worms
should have died out with firewalls and Patch Tuesdays.

Firewalls don't stop outbound worms or inbound email. Patch Tuesdays don't
stop Wormy Mondays.

Don't even mention
the "decrypt-this-zipfile-run-this-exe-and-then-die" emails.

What happened?

So many people with security ranking below 100 on their priorities list.