funsec mailing list archives

Re: PayPal Plans Payments Via Text Message?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:24:33 -0500

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:22:25 GMT, Fergie said:
Despite the frustrating lack of details here, the article goes on
to say that "Users will first have to register their mobile devices
with PayPal’s Web site and select a code to protect them against
unauthorized users."

Wow. Does this sound like a potential avenue for abuse, or what? ;-)

"Accidents happen, ya know?  It would really be a shame if we forgot your
secret code that protected you against unauthorized users...."

I'm not sure if I'm more scared of hackers, or money-grubbing malevolence
on PayPal's part.....