funsec mailing list archives

Re: PayPal Plans Payments Via Text Message?

From: "Mark P. Fister" <mark () fister org>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:57:17 -0800

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:24:33PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:22:25 GMT, Fergie said:
Despite the frustrating lack of details here, the article goes on
to say that "Users will first have to register their mobile devices
with PayPal’s Web site and select a code to protect them against
unauthorized users."

Wow. Does this sound like a potential avenue for abuse, or what? ;-)

"Accidents happen, ya know?  It would really be a shame if we forgot your
secret code that protected you against unauthorized users...."

I'm not sure if I'm more scared of hackers, or money-grubbing malevolence
on PayPal's part.....

Huh?  Please explain your email.

1. "We forgot your secret code"... ?  I'm confused.  Does PayPal have a history
   of forgetting things?  As a Principal Software Engineer at PayPal, I may be
   able to help do something about that, if you think so.

2. "Money-grubbing malevolence"?  I'd like to think that you're merely frustrated
   about one thing or another, and not actually trying to suggest that PayPal or
   its policies are truly malevolent for its own profit.

--
Mark P. Fister
http://www.fister.org