funsec mailing list archives

Re: PayPal Plans Payments Via Text Message?

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:05:07 GMT

Come one, now -- you obviously know that 99% of people choose
familiar numbers for their PINs (e.g. last 4 digits of SSN, street
address, etc.).

What makes you think this will be any different? Methinks it
will be only a _very_ short time before problems surface in this
regard.

This is not to necessarily poo-poo PayPal for doing it, at least
any more than the blame is to be made with stupid users for picking
easily guaessable PINs. ;-)

- ferg

ps. w.r.t. keyloggers and/or malware on cellphones, that is certainly
possible -- never underestimate the ingenuity of tech-crooks when there
is money involved. And I'll bet you nickels-to-donuts that bluetooth
will somehow exacerbate the problem. ;-)