funsec mailing list archives

Re: PayPal Plans Payments Via Text Message?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:32:19 -0500

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:57:17 PST, "Mark P. Fister" said:

"Accidents happen, ya know?  It would really be a shame if we forgot your
secret code that protected you against unauthorized users...."

I'm not sure if I'm more scared of hackers, or money-grubbing malevolence
on PayPal's part.....

Huh?  Please explain your email.

1. "We forgot your secret code"... ?  I'm confused.  Does PayPal have a history
   of forgetting things?  As a Principal Software Engineer at PayPal, I may be
   able to help do something about that, if you think so.

Sorry - it's my *job* to think about how many different ways things can go wrong.
Since everybody else and their pet llama George picked up the *obvious* threat
there, I picked the less obvious "Paypal uses this as a new profit center" threat.

(Your company isn't alone - see AOL/GoodMail and all the followers of the
BellSouth "the web site should pay to get data to the customers" for further
examples of this same phenomenon/mindset)

2. "Money-grubbing malevolence"?  I'd like to think that you're merely frustrated
   about one thing or another, and not actually trying to suggest that PayPal or
   its policies are truly malevolent for its own profit.

In the current US legal environment, corporations are almost *forced* to be
malevolent for their own profit (as their responsibility is to the share
holders, not the customers).  As a result, when it comes down to a choice
between "a way to get another $4/year per customer" and "we do it for free and
swallow the costs because it's The Right Thing To Do", upper management will
almost certainly Do The Wrong Thing.

If faced with a shareholder lawsuit that alleges the management passed up an
obvious way to increase profits by $4/customer/year, across your tens of millions
of customers, what would the defense be?