funsec mailing list archives

Re: another VX site?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:41:56 +1300

Drsolly to me:

Of course, whether an AV product _need_ detect, or need deetct _and
inform the user_, of the precise variant when, despite the malwares'
program logic and/or expression differences, their _effective
behaviour_ is the same, is another question.  AV uber-purists have
(mostly) always aimed for "exact identification" whereas others have
tended to go for "if the functionality is about the same such that
disinfection is the same we need not be too fussy about identifying
precise variants" and a few have always been so sloppy that it matters
not what they call something as half its detects are guaranteed to be
entirely unrelated and some/many not even malware (for example, some AV
-- I forget which offhand -- has a generic "unwanted file" or similar
detection for _any file_ it does not have more precise identification
of that is packed with FSG).

Internally, though, if the product is going to do repair, then exact
identification is extremely important. I agree, you don't need to tell the
user that it's jerusalem.h or jerusalem.m if those have the same payload,
but there's not big downside in displaying that info.

Some would still argue (and have implemented their products thus) that
that level of detection is not always necessary, _even when you are
doing repair/disinfection_.  For parasitic malware it is understandable
that you should need as precise detection as possible, but with so much
of today's malware being either non-replicative (Trojan, adware,
spyware, "hacking tool", etc, etc) or monolithic replicators, where the
"repair" is "delete the file and its associated registry entries", some
have become fairly keen on "close enough is good enough" for their
detection capabilities (dressed up for marketing under fancy-sounding
names like "generic detection", "advanced heuristics" and so on...).

Just called my sisters wife, ...

It's not germane to this conversation, but I was not aware lesbian
marriage was possible/legal anywhere in the US...

Maybe they got married in the UK, where we now have same-sex "Civil
union", which is (loosely) called "marriage".

Or here -- NZ has had such civil unions for about a year (??) now...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald