funsec mailing list archives

Re: Here's how to get on the NSA's radar screen

From: Dave Killion <dave.killion () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:26:29 -0800

Well, not just that, but the NSA is forbidden from collecting on US
nationals without a court order.  I know there's been talk in the press
about the presidential order loosening those restrictions, but I know for a
fact it wasn't carte blanche.  USSID 18 is still very much in effect.

Having used the system for 2 years, and having once - by pure accident -
adding a US nationals emails to a request (which was pre-reviewed, detected
and removed = never actually processed) and then living through the
nightmare of almost going to jail for it...  No human would ever read the
email you sent these addresses if sent from a US TLD.

Trust me, the hype on this has always been out of control compared to the
reality.  And yes, this is an evasion technique, and one that both sides of
the issue are well aware of (which is why, among other reasons, that most of
these are US TLD anonymous accounts).

-Dave Killion, CISSP