funsec mailing list archives

Re: Here's how to get on the NSA's radar screen

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:43:05 GMT

Not sure that is necessarily correct, but hopefully any unlawful
'broad-net' trolling of information will be brought to light (or
not):

[snip]

For 20 years, Tice worked in the shadows as he helped the United States spy on other people's conversations around the
world.

"I specialized in what's called special access programs," Tice said of his job. "We called them 'black world' programs
and operations."

But now, Tice tells ABC News that some of those secret "black world" operations run by the NSA were operated in ways
that he believes violated the law. He is prepared to tell Congress all he knows about the alleged wrongdoing in these
programs run by the Defense Department and the NSA in the post-9/11 efforts to go after terrorists.

[snip]

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Investigation/story?id=1491889

- ferg

-- Matthew Murphy <mattmurphy () kc rr com> writes:

Perhaps not for the case of general-purpose filtering, as Richard
incorrectly suggests is taking place.  I do agree that an American
government blindly filtering through data on its own citizens without
any reasonable suspicion what-so-ever would be a huge no-no.

However, in the case of the specific wiretap order issued by Bush (if
what I'm hearing reported in the media is accurate -- a leap of faith to
be sure), it seems only 500 taps were authorized.  It hasn't been very
clear as to whether this is tapping up to 500 people who happen to be
communicating simultaneously, or 500 specific individuals.

[snip]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net