funsec mailing list archives

RE: RE: [privacy] Frank Rich: Will the Real Traitors Please Stand Up?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:27:51 +0100 (BST)

Huh?  There you go again assuming..... Neither you nor I know what level
of sophistication a particular enemy organization works at...  Look at

Like any group of people, there will be the more sophisticated, and the
less. Some of the less sophisticated, won't be able to read or understand
English (and possibly not be able to read anything), so publication of
information in the English-speaking media, wouldn't make any difference to
them.

Of course, those less sophisticated will get information second-hand from
the more sophisticated (able to read and write English). On the other
hand, the more sophisticated ones that will be passing on this
information, will already know that phones can be tapped and logged.

So what's the balance here? Maybe there's some that are sophisticated
enough to be able to make use of this information, but not so sophisticaed
that they already know. Those people will be deterred from using
telephones to communicate, which will make it somewhat more difficult for
them to hatch their plots, and possibly more difficult for the police to
catch them, if the police do indeed get any value from phone logging.

Disclaimer: I once helped catch a criminal by analysing the logs generated
by a corporate switchboard. We knew the location that the crook stole
from, and the time, and he was dumb enough to make a phone call from that
office at that time. So, we knew the number he called, and thereby knew
who the thief was (a security guard).

On the whole, I'm thinking that the advantages of telling the enemy to
stop using the phone outweigh the disadvantages. But, on the other hand,
they probably aren't listening anyway.

Its too bad that the media is not supportive of the war on
terror(amazing that its so clear where they stand...). Things might be
different. The Iraq occupation would probably have already be over.

I find it breathtaking that anyone would blame "the media" that the war in
Iraq continues, and I'd like to hear the rationale for that.

Funny how the media wont report comparisons and contrasts of what the
government did in WW2 in a real declared war..  Interrment, censorship,
loads of real domestic surveillance.. America knew what was at stake
then.

America knew what was at stake because they'd seen what happened in
London. Not once, at one place and at one date, with 3000 casualties, but
again and again, and in cities all over England with many many thousand
casualties (plus they had a taste of that at Pearl Harbour). What was at
stake in WW2 was much, much more than what is at stake now, and that's why
(despite the rhetoric), America (and England) are not actually fighting a
war against the terrorists.

If it were a war, then we wouldn't be trading with the enemy.

If it were a war, we'd have conscription.

If it were a war, we'd have more casualties from the war than from the
roads.

Personal Disclaimer: I cannot hide my bias. I did 12 years in the Air
Force working with lots of programs that we're touching on. I so wish I
could comment on them, but unlike the other CIA person who feels that
their own conscience trumps the national security of the USA, I'm happy
to fullfill my oath of secrecy. The one thing I have learned in my
experience is this: Tin foil on!!   IF you have nothing to hide, you
have nothing to worry about....

I have lots to hide. And I'm not telling you what that is or why I want to
hide it, except to point out that people put curtains on their bathrooms
and lock the toilet door, not because they're doing anything illegal, but
because they simply don't want other people to watch them doing what
they're doing.

I cant wait for the responses..

You could, and did, wait. And now your wait is rewarded.