funsec mailing list archives

Re: RE: [privacy] Frank Rich: Will the Real Traitors PleaseStand Up?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:09:32 -0500

On 5/15/06, StyleWar <stylewar () cox net> wrote:
> If it were a war, then we wouldn't be trading with the enemy.

Agreed for the most part... but this is a war unlike any other ever fought
before.

Not really, we had the crusades!

> If it were a war, we'd have conscription.

I guess the Gulf War Vets should turn in their medals then... they were all
volunteers, who fought in a war that by your definition, wasn't a war...

We've *sorta* outlawed the draft after Vietnam - didn't we?

How many troops were drafted for Korea?

Drafts are generally directly linked to the current numbers of
military personnel committed and numbers expected to be necessary. I
don't think the fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan ever came close to
exhausting our military - especially to the point of bringing back the
draft. Fact is, we could probably handle Iran next and still not worry
too much about a draft.

> If it were a war, we'd have more casualties from the war than
> from the roads.

Again, the Gulf War proved different. The face of war has changed....you're
operating off of an old paradigm Doc.

A different area, too. I don't think fighting in the jungles in
Vietnam have gotten any easier - we're currently in the desert! Sure,
our technology is going to help - and we could probably win that war
handily now - but it would still be a tough SOB.