funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Verizon Won't Give Government 'Unfettered' Record Access

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 13:53:48 GMT

Traffic analysis between, say, my telephone number and anyone
I call (and vice versa) is more than just looking at numbers --
it is looking at _who_I_call.

I must respectfully disagree with you, and most importantly
the SCOTUS, on this issue. Tracking who, when, and where I make
telephone calls is constitutionally intrusive, in my opinion.

Again, the real crime here is bypassing established legal
processes -- the FISA court -- when obtaining this information,
and in this case, the telcos just handed it over without a whimper
(except for Qwest, who did The Right Thing).

- ferg

-- "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:

Same difference between customer data and actual HIPAA data. Its not
what the records are, its how they're presented, correlated, etc..

Yeah, in the case of phone records it might be a misnomer, your phone
number might as well be your name, but - technically - its not. A
record/log of one number to another number is NOT customer data...

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net