funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Verizon Won't Give Government 'Unfettered' RecordAccess

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:39:02 -0400

On Mon, 15 May 2006 22:38:20 CDT, StyleWar said:
Nope -- I reviewed every one of them... And not a single threat by any Fed
towards any reporter for speaking their minds was quoted by you, linked by
you, or linked or quoted by anyone else on this list...

And the closest thing to it was the blind quote of a warning to get a new
cell phone posted by a reporter in a blog....

You obviously don't understand the concepts "chilling effect" or "veiled
threats".

Is there an actual *threat* in the phrase "Remember.... we *know* where
you live."?  No, but if you're likely to gain the displeasure of the
person in the near future, you're likely to reconsider your behavior,
aren't you?

Some threat.  We should have enemies so threatening.  Maybe we could cut
back on all the military spending.

OK - this raises a number of questions then.  If (as the Pentagon and
others in power would have us believe) al Quaeda is such a bunch of
incompetents that their #2 can't fire an AK-47 without jamming it, and
his assistant doesn't follow proper protocol taking the weapon and as
a result burns his hand on the barrel:

1) Why haven't we been able toatch these clowns?  Is it for an intentional
lack of proper execution, because if we caught the Boogeyman, the threat
would evaporate?

2) If they're so incompetent, why are we *really* spending billions of
dollars on surveillance and related technologies?