funsec mailing list archives

Re: EU Promotes Continent-Wide Censorship

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 14:04:53 -0500

On 5/19/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

Right. So, what's bad about the various countries of Europe, trying to
come to a concensus of what constitutes that crime?

Nothing - just stating the finer point in the difference between child
porn laws and censorship.

In practice, you don't allow people to work as prostitutes, you don't
allow adults aged 19 to drink alcohol - despite your constitution. But
we've already been over this, and it probably isn't productive to go
through it again.

That's different - those are BAD laws which run counter to our
Constitution and the inalienable rights of humans everywhere. We've
salted our freedoms with "decency" levels.

Just as the USA has state laws and federal laws, the idea is for the
countries of Europe to have their own laws, and also for there to be laws
that we all subscribe to. And since TV and internet tends to cross
borders, it makes sense to combine together on the laws of censorship for
those media.

No argument there.