funsec mailing list archives

Re: Database design.

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:52:15 -0400

On 6/6/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

> I interviewed with a company that was taking all of a Dr.'s office and
> putting it onto a DB. This was only for eye doctors (opthomologists or
> some such) and they had an average of 1 GB per client.
>
> This included billing, Forms (TONS of forms per visit here in the
> states), etc, etc.

I still don't see how an eye doctor can amass a gigabyte of data on one
person, unless they're storing the forms by doing high-resolution jpgs of
them, which is a pretty daft way to store data.

Obviously, you havent filled out any american insurance claim forms before ;-)

They are storing the forms as entries in a DB (not pictures), and that
is all the forms for all the visits as well as their prescriptions,
tests, personal information, communications with other doctors,
recommendations, billing info and history, etc, etc. Since this is an
eye doctor, there is no MRI or X-Ray images to be archived.

I will contact the company again and find out whether that was a 1GB
allowance, or 1GB of actual data that he referred to and get back to
the list.

as a side note, you blokes might want to talk with Walmart. Apparently
they can store the entire Internet two-fold, and they only spent ~40
mil on the data center:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_148015054/

<excerpt>
But Wal-Mart, according to a 2004 New York Times article, had enough
storage capacity to contain twice the amount of all the information
available on the Internet. For the technically minded, the exact
amount was for 460 terabytes of data.
<excerpt>

-JP