funsec mailing list archives

Re: Database design.

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:24:33 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:49:18 BST, Drsolly said:

300 gb drives cost about $100. You can put four of those in one computer,
total cost maybe $600. For 460 terabytes, you'd need some 400 of those,
which would cost $240,000.

Yeah, and that DMX3 quote would have been a lot cheaper if they'd just used
cheap $100 ATA drives, instead of the drives they actually use.  However,
when you're looking at 300 terabytes of disk, if you're using drives with
a 3-year MTBF like they use in the average consumer desktop, you're looking

I'm not sure that the MTBF is 3 years. The guarantee on these things is 3
years. If they're expecting half of the drives they sell, to become
warranty replacements, then they did their sums wrong. I suspect that the
MTBF is a lot more than 3 years (and that's borne out by my experience
with them).

I checked. The mtbf for these drives (according to Maxtor), is 1.2 million
hours = 137 years.

at a failure *EVERY DAY* on the average.  Now the fun - even if you have a

So if you have 1000 drives, the mtbf would be around 1200 hours. One drive
failure every seven weeks.

hot spare that the array can rebuild onto, what is the probability that
(a) you'll have another drive fail before the rebuild finishes and (b) that
the 2nd failure is inside the rebuilding RAID set?

That's not how I'd do it - I'd have three servers running in parallel. If
one fails, you replace it while the other two are still running.

Also, for a national database system like this, you'd have the database
replicated in more than one site, to allow for the possibility of an
outage at one site.

Hmmm.. let's see.  A petabyte would be about 3,000 drives, and a failure
every 8 hours.  Assuming you create 100 RAID sets of 30 drives each, and
you can rebuild a 30-drive RAID in 24 hours, you're looking at permanently
trashing a RAID set on the order of once or twice a year....  (You can
improve your chances by creating more RAID sets - but then you need to
allocate more hot spares....)

I suggest you redo your calculation with the correct mtbf of 1.2 million
hours.