funsec mailing list archives

Re: Database design.

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 23:56:17 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Andrew wrote:

Drsolly wrote:
I can't imagine why you'd need a lot of hardware. If 60 million people
each need 20kb of data on average, that's 1.2 terabytes, which is four 300
gb hard drives. Of course, you'd want some mirroring and multiple
locations, but even so. I could do the pilot project on one server; maybe

I'm not sure how you arrived at 20 kb.  I had to reread your message to
ensure you were serious.

Several participants mentioned x-rays or other radiology studies when
disputing this ridiculous estimate, and for good reason.  Of course, I
only know of practice in the United States, but it is likely similar
elsewhere.

Not in the UK. I'm going by my own medical records, and I'm probably not
exceptional.

Most studies are kept for seven years. Mammography studies are kept for
nine years. Studies on children are kept at least until they turn 18.
They range in size from tens of megs to a gigabyte. Either England's
central health care database scope doesn't include storing the digital
radiology for 60 million people, or they're going to need that money.

We haven't stored it in the past. The question becomes - do we want to
spend $40 billion on storing stuff that *might* be useful, or do we want
to spend it on doctors, nurses and hospitals that we *know* will be
useful.

Another item of information that you might not have known, is that the
National health service is currently in a funding crunch, and nurses are
being laid off.

Well, perhaps not 40 billion.  But exponentially more than the, "is this
guy for real?" two hundred thousand you mentioned.

Well, my original posting was a question, how much? I'm not saying that my
figure is correct, I just want to know what is the wonderful health-giving
thing that we get for the extra $39,999 million. Digitising x-rays instead
of storing them on the film that they're made on, doesn't sound like a
candidate.

Yes, I'm for real. I'm questioning whether we're spending our $40 billion
on the best health-giving option.