funsec mailing list archives

Re: Database design.

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 00:00:45 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Andrew wrote:

Drsolly wrote:
400 computers at 100 watts per computer, would need 40 kw. Space
requirement - you could put it in a double garage. Aircon requirements
wouldn't be too bad, you could probably go with 20 kw to augment the
natural cooling.

Hardware really is cheap.

You're having us on.

A common model two processor server class machine requires 450 watts.
The BTU rating for this same server is 1535 per hour. A middle of the
road Liebert can accommodate 12,000 BTU. Your server setup is cranking
out more than half a million BTU.  And natural cooling?  What is that
exactly?  A spring breeze over the backs of your 16,000 pounds of
hardware? Maybe the racks could sit in a meadow and chill in the morning
dew.

I measured the consumption of a single-cpu (Celeron) server, plus drives.
That was 110 watts

1535 btu/hour is 450 watts. So, maybe your servers do need 450 watts, I
can't say. But I do know that mine eat 110 watts.

"Natural cooling" is the way that some heat will leave a heated room even
if you don't pump it out.