funsec mailing list archives

Re: Database design.

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:40:06 -0400

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:31:02 PDT, Andrew said:

The BTU rating for this same server is 1535 per hour. A middle of the
road Liebert can accommodate 12,000 BTU. Your server setup is cranking
out more than half a million BTU.  And natural cooling?  What is that
exactly?  A spring breeze over the backs of your 16,000 pounds of
hardware? Maybe the racks could sit in a meadow and chill in the morning
dew.

When we put in the cluster, the first calculations for cooling it with standard
"suck in the top and blow under the floor" A/C units lining the machine room
walls ended up with a 50mph breeze under the floor, and 30mph winds on the
return.  We ended up going with a custom Liebert solution that included
small chiller units on top of each rack that suck air out of the "hot" aisle,
and dump it right back in front of the unit in the "cold" aisle.  Even then,
the wind in the hot aisle is pretty wild.