funsec mailing list archives

Why Winternals Sued Best Buy

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:46:49 GMT

Mark Russinovich writes over on the SysInternals Blog:

[snip]

This post I’m taking a break from my standard technical postings to discuss a disturbing discovery regarding a large
corporation’s unauthorized software usage. By now many of you have heard via Slashdot, arstechnica, Digg, or your local
newspaper that Winternals Software, the company I co-founded with Bryce Cogswell in 1996, filed suit in Federal court
against Geek Squad and Best Buy for illegal use of the Administrator’s Pak.

What the press coverage to date might not have made clear is what Geek Squad and Best Buy did prior to approaching
Winternals in October 2005 about a license to our software, what they continued to do after terminating licensing
discussions in February 2006, and why we felt we had no alternative but to protect our software through the legal
system. This is the first lawsuit Winternals has ever initiated, and we did not approach the decision lightly.

[snip]

More here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2006/04/why-winternals-sued-best-buy.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net