funsec mailing list archives

Re: University of South Carolina e-Mail CompromisesStudentIDs

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:48:19 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:06:28 BST, Drsolly said:
I've heard American's say this before, and I've never understood why it is
that Americans think we have bad teeth, fogs in London and a lot of rain.

Sitting in an english garden waiting for the sun.
If the sun don't come, you get a tan
From standing in the english rain.
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob g'goo goo g'joob

              -- Some brit named J. Lennon.

Although it's the Scottish moors that are more famous for lots of rain/drizzle
(and quite deservedly so - 300+ days a year with precipitation according to
http://www.ace.mmu.ac.uk/eae/Climate/Younger/British_Climate.html)

As you can imagine, not many people live in the middle of the Scottish
moors. Grouse, mostly.

http://americansamuck.blogspot.com/2006/01/rainy-london.html

Washington rainfall: 40 inches per year (and 23 inches of snow)
Chicago              36
Newark               42
Houston              45
Charlotte            43
Phoenix               7
London               23

So, apart from the desert parts of the USA, London gets less rain than
many US cities.

And London *did* have nasty air-clarity problems when most buildings were
burning high-sulfur coal for heat.  Though it was more a very damp smog
than a true fog....

Yes, but that was 50 years ago.

I actually remember the Great Smog of London, 1952, it killed thousands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_1952

But in 1956, we passed the Clean Air act, and it's been good ever since.
In the USA, you also passed a Clean Air act, 14 years later.