funsec mailing list archives

Re: University of South Carolina e-Mail CompromisesStudentIDs

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:31:58 +0200

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:06:53 +0200, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
P.S. The word is "arse", it comes from the Olde Englisc "ears", which
Well, I didn't know that! Thanks. But I have to wonder who was it confused
his ears with his arsehole :-)

<lecturer tone="boring" type="linguistic">
Actually the "s" form of pluralisation is a Middle English thing, it came specifically from the Midlands (in those days, London and surrounding area) dialect mainly due to the printing press.

As Olde Englisc was more a much more grammatically complex language, there are a lot of declensions for plurals, depending upon gender or tense of the word.

So the Olde Englisc word for ear, "ēare" (neuter, sing), could be: ēaran (nom or acc), ēara (gen) or ēarum (dat).
</lecturer>

dave

(So, do you think I killed the argument? When in doubt bore the participants)