funsec mailing list archives

RE: U.S. Finance Sector Weighs In on Net Neutrality

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 20:58:33 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 3 May 2006 Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

I'm still having trouble understanding this whole issue. If its about
banning discriminatory pricing, then it flies in the face of all normal

commercial practice. You simply do not charge everyone the same price.
For example, people who buy big volume, usually get offered a better
price.

I think they actually wanna do the opposite of that.  Charge the heavy
"users" (users in this case Google, yahoo, sourceforge, etc) more to
give them priority on the available banwidth.

  So the people that pay more, will get better QOS on their packets.
I'm afraid that those that don't pay this this extortion fee (did I say
that outloud?), will find their packets being routed through east
boondock-ville, or worse routed into the bit bucket alltogether.

It's still diofferential pricing, whichever way round you do it, and
that's been commercial practice since the snake gave a loss leader apple
to Eve.