funsec mailing list archives

Re: Using ad serving software for censoring news stories

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:16:24 -0400

On 8/29/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
The reason you have a First Amendment, is that you didn't get it right
first time around. We've had freedom of speech in the UK since deep in the
mists of time.

It's the law in the UK, that you mustn't speculate on the facts of a
trial, in advance of the trial, because that leads to an unfair trial.
So, for example, when the Home Secretary said "We've caught the main
plotters", he was skating on *very* thin ice. He should have said "We have
arrested several people who are alleged to be plotting ..."

You can't say "The were plotting to blow up" because that's assuming their
guilt, and in the UK, there's a presumption of innocence until proven
guilty in a court of law. Newspapers can't assume guilt.

Surely you have a similar law in the USA?

You want the good 'ol US of A to go without Joan-Benet/Lacy
Peterson/OJ Simpson/Michael Jackson trials?

Then I would have nothing to watch except Judge Judy re-runs.

That suggestion is tantamount to terrorism!

-JP<who just out Dr Solly on the airlines no-fly list>