funsec mailing list archives

Re: Using ad serving software for censoring news stories

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:41:59 -0500

On 8/29/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
The reason you have a First Amendment, is that you didn't get it right
first time around. We've had freedom of speech in the UK since deep in the
mists of time.

Didn't get what right the first time around? The First Amendment WAS
our first time - after kicking our "lords" (your king) out. The first
ten "Amendments" are called the Bill of Rights and were written to
guarantee the passage of the Constitution.

If you are referring to the Articles of Confederation, I'd like to
hear your arguments about our limited free speech under those
contracts...

It's the law in the UK, that you mustn't speculate on the facts of a
trial, in advance of the trial, because that leads to an unfair trial.
<SNIP>
You can't say "The were plotting to blow up" because that's assuming their
guilt, and in the UK, there's a presumption of innocence until proven
guilty in a court of law. Newspapers can't assume guilt.

In the US there is a presumption of innocence as well - but that only
governs the courts (jururists). See, here in the US our Constitution
only governs the government and our papers are free to print whatever
they like so long as they don't libel or slander.

Our papers are also free to call a spade a spade - terrorists, after
all, ARE terrorists.