funsec mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft shutters Windows private folders

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:29:45 -0400

If I use the same logic about bypassing protection mechanisms
than I can say that a safe in a secret bunker with an army of guards
can't protect CEO's data either... All I have to do is inject him with
a poison that activates within 2 hours if an antidote is not given...

At which point you would have physical access to the CEO... if the
information he/she knew (or the power that he/she has) was that
valuable, you would not be able to get close enough to perform the
injection. This is why separation of duties/knowledge/location is
required for someone of this stature.

Ever watched the U.S. Secret Service or Donald Trump in person? The
protection mechanisms are fascinating to me....

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services
Montgomery County, Maryland