funsec mailing list archives

Re: Image spam hits a new level...

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 00:12:33 +1300

Dennis Henderson wrote:

Can still read it... well enough to score...  HEHE

Hopefully the grass roots OCR initiative will drive this into the ground. I
also notice commercial vendors announcing OCR capabilities in the "next
release"..

Anti-OCR is only (??) incidental to it's main (??) purpose.

Most anti-spam efforts do not (and will not anytime soon or ever) have
OCR-like technologies, so the bad-guys have other phish to phry here.

Think about the CPU resources OCR must use and think about who (if
anyone -- get it?) can afford that for their huge Email volumes (and by-
and-large those with the worst volumes are probably also those that
disproportionately get non-spam image(-only) Email, making the CPU
requirements of OCR even more outrageous).

The more I think about this the more I'm convinced that the spammers
are targetting something other than beating the odd site that has
deployed SpamAssassin's OCR plugin or the occasional rough equivalent.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald