funsec mailing list archives

Re: Image spam hits a new level...

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:35:21 +1300

David Lodge wrote:

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 02:39:13 -0000, Nick FitzGerald
<nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:
Yep, it's getting quite creative.
And there are other reasons than "OCR-busting" that these approaches
are being used (and it's NOT hash-busting), but I'm not sure a public
list is the place to discuss this yet...

They are getting creative - I got my first ASCII art spam yesterday, ...

"ASCII art" spam is so totally January 2005...

   http://www.jgc.org/tsc/   (then search in-page for "ASCII art")

... which
surprised me!

The recent ones I've seen (starting about five or six days back) are
very similar to the sample in the asciiart2.zip linked from the TSC
page, forming "banner" style letters from multiple rows and columns of
ASCII characters in an array (which only really works for fixed-pitch
font display or if suitably formatted in HTML).  That sample is from
late-Feb 2005.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald