funsec mailing list archives

RE: "Perspective: Wresting free from a software straitjacket"

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 18:52:48 +1300

ferg to Keith Young:

From Paul Vixie:
http://news.com.com/2010-1002_3-6139456.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

Exactly. When did we, the security community, stop believing in the
K.I.S.S. principle and start believing in the "buy the latest
IDS/IPS/firewall/enpoint-security/data-leak-protection/patching/vulnerab
ility-scanner/harddrive-encryption/anti-malware/log-correlation/etc/etc/
etc/etc" principle that we are poorly implementing today?

When the Internet stopped being a science project, and people
started building businesses around it. The same snake-oil elsewhere
in the business world leaks into cyberspace, too -- along with all
of the other crapola. :-)

It is not just that simple that the evils of capitalism will out
whereever its grubby money is cast...

There were _tons_ of people from the _inside_ of the science project
who really should have known better than pushing their 60's liberal
hippie quasi-academic crapola that "information wants to be free" and
the Internet _as it was then_ was clearly the only/best model of
extending the reach of that freedom.  Far too many of these jerk-offs
complicitly joined the rapid deployment of the Internet as it was then
into the commercial space and are at least as directly responsible for
the crapola we have now as the capitalists are for layering their
existant business models onto TCP/IP.

In fact, being ever so slightly devil's advocate-ish, I'll suggest that
those technologists are _more_ responsible because they at least should
have known that the technology they were pushing was never designed,
built _OR INTENDED_ for "safe" use in the open sewer networking
environment so many of them then started pushing.  _Their_ failure to
act and recommend according to their own expert knowledge of what the
Internet protocols were designed for makes them _more_ responsible than
the capitalists who really only know the "take the best technical
advice available about the new stuff you know squat about and make many
investments in the hope a few pay off big" VC gambling model.

The most laughable aspect of all this is that pretty much the very same
technologists who failed us so badly, yet entirely predictably, all
those years back, are _still_ in as exalted positions as they were then
(if in fact, not more so, as we have entrenched many of them in quasi-
official "Internet leadership" positions and like) and we _STILL_ seem
to think they are the folk to turn to for advice on fixing the surplus
excrement in the sewage system they foisted on us in the first place!

C'mon folk -- are we really all that damn fucking stupid?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald