funsec mailing list archives

Re: FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:04:04 -0600

On 12/5/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 20:38:50 GMT, Drsolly said:
> Copyright breach isn't a criminal offence, it's a civil matter.

I'll excuse you from knowing that in the US, it's now a criminal matter,
since terrorists can be pirating MPAA/RIAA materials for money....

(Really - 17 USC 506 discusses criminal copyright offenses)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000506----000-.html

Now you're on to pears... See my comments to Solly. This law requires
that you profit from copying copyrighted works.

We started off talking about photographs of things, taken from public
space. I still am.

Now we're discussing the minutia of whether or not it is illegal to
copy an artwork. On that point, nothing in this law contradicts what I
have said. The sculptor for the convention center is not damaged by my
taking a photograph of his work - even if I sell that photograph for
profit. He would be damaged if I made replicas of his work - and
especially if I tried to pass them off as being done by him.