funsec mailing list archives

Re: FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:57:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Brian Loe wrote:

Were you arrested? Camera confiscated? If so, what were the charges?

Btw folks, who has a story of someone being arrested - or even
harassed by the cops - for copyright infringement? I've heard of court
orders against the infringers, law suits and such, but never anyone
being arrested.

Skylarov (sp?).

In the US?  Yes.

A non-US citizen?  Yes.

Arrested?  Yes.

By the cops?  Ummmm -- it was at immigration/customs so maybe NOT by
the police??

For copyright infringement?  Well, kinda -- specifically under the
DMCA.  Pointing out that ROT13 is not really an "effective" encryption
mechanism with which to "secure" copyrighted digital content is itself
NOT allowed under the DMCA (showing what a shitty little piece of law
it really is -- it's a law so bad it has to make some forms of
potential criticism of it illegal).

Sometimes, I wear a different hat, which acts as a way of changing my
usual (copyright) appearance. If someone suggests removing my
hat, might they fall foul of this hilarious US law?