funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Senators Propose Repeal of National ID Card Law

From: Dude Van Winkle <DudeVanWinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:30:40 -0500

Fergie wrote:
Via CDT.org.

[snip]

A pair of Senators last week proposed legislation to repeal a
controversial
law mandating the creation of a national identification card. Senators
Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii) and John Sununu (R-N.H.) proposed the bill on the
last day before the 109th Congress adjourned for good, but are likely to
reintroduce it in 2007.

I dont understand the big deal about a national id card. We already have
drivers licenses and social security cards, Military IDs, College/School
ID's, Work Badges, and Passports, so whats the big deal about adding a
standard, especially if we can do away with the need for even two of the
others (which I admit will probably not happen of course, buts its nice
to dream eh?)

"They" already know who we are, and I would like to see anyone do one of
the following without an ID:

But a beer
Buy Cigarettes
Buy allergy medication
Do anything financially
Claim winnings

We already have a Watcher/Watched relationship with our government. I
think its interesting to see which people and what groups react with
shock to these types of legislation, betraying the fact that neither has
adjusted to nor accepted this immutable fact.

-JP<who thinks it would almost be worth it to let the government create
massive databases of personal data on every individual, as long as it
includes elected officials and is accessible by the public>