funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Senators Propose Repeal of National ID Card Law

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:16:06 -0000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 02:30:40 -0000, Dude Van Winkle
<DudeVanWinkle () gmail com> wrote:
I dont understand the big deal about a national id card. We already have
drivers licenses and social security cards, Military IDs, College/School
ID's, Work Badges, and Passports, so whats the big deal about adding a
standard, especially if we can do away with the need for even two of the
others (which I admit will probably not happen of course, buts its nice
to dream eh?)

The major problem is that ID gets abused - and rather than ask for
equivalent ID for a purpose, a generic global ID is requested, meaning
closer monitoring by people who shouldn't have any right to monitor an
individual (e.g. banks, supermarkets).

The concept should be authenticate for purpose (e.g. my bank should
provide authentication for me to use my account, my doctor should provide
authentication for me to get prescription medicines etc).

I certainly don't trust the government (of the UK and probably the US
government too) to be able to secure a fully linkable database as they're
planning to do or even have the will to secure it.

As an example of the stupidity of the ID situation, I have an appointment
to see a bank financial advisor and they want me to bring along a passport
or driving licence. Why? My bank has never seen either of my passport or
driving licence so how would they know that it is valid for me? Especially
as the name on my bank account isn't my name (long story). Bearing in mind
that in the UKs, names don't need to have legal documentation to be
changed (except on government identification).

"They" already know who we are, and I would like to see anyone do one of
the following without an ID:
But a beer
Buy Cigarettes

Have been doing so since I was 15 (I was bought up in small town England -
it gets boring). Last time I was asked for ID on beer related grounds was
when I walked into a bar in the US and they were asking *everybody*.

Buy allergy medication

I just buy them from the supermarket every spring.

Do anything financially

See rant above - my bank has no knowledge of my driving licence/passport
number and *they shouldn't need to*.

Claim winnings

Not needed - I have no need to prove who I am when I gamble or pick up a
lottery prize - my authentication token is the ticket/bookie slip. What
difference would my real name make?

We should avoid the concept of having to prove who we are for as much as
possible. We should just prove that we are authorised to use the service -
who we are makes little difference.

dave