funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Senators Propose Repeal of National ID Card Law

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:47:06 -0600

In the US:

Buy a beer

I can't remember the last time I bought a beer and was asked to show an
ID. I'm pretty sure I never have been.  All I've ever been asked for is a
couple of pounds cash.

There are now state-by-state laws that require presentation of ID for
alcohol purchases up to 27 years old. The legal limit is still 21, but
Missouri will card people even if they look older.

Every time you purchase alcohol, the cashier enters your Birthday, or what
they think is your Birthday in the register. My comments only apply to
Missouri.

Buy Cigarettes

I don't smoke, so I can't be sure, but I don't think I'd be asked for ID.

Ditto above for cigs.

Buy allergy medication

Our soon-to-be-former-senator Talent introduced a bill that was passed
requiring over the counter medications that contain pseudoephedrine to be
logged and you have to register in a national database to do so. Its
supposed to counter the cheap production of methamphetamine. Funny thing,
tho, demand for sudafed actually went up in 2006.....

If it's a non-prescription drug, you just buy it in Boots, or any other
similar shop.

These kind of meds are now called behind-the-counter, instead of over the
counter.

Do anything financially

Mostly, I use cash, and I don't get asked for ID. When I use a credit
card, I don't get asked for ID, unless you could the card itself.

The US is moving very quickly towards a cashless society.

Claim winnings

I've never won anything, because I'm not a gambler.

<eyes roll>

If all the above needs ID in your country, then you have a real problem!
Which country is this?

U.S.A.

So to the Dude's comments, I too agree that a national ID card is not so far
away in the US, given all the things that we already have to coff up ID for.

:)