funsec mailing list archives

Re: Largest Ever Online Robbery Hits Swedish Bank

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:31:06 -0600

On 1/19/07, Randall M <randallm () fidmail com> wrote:
Doc,
Sorry, but I must disagree. "Dare" programs run here in the schools telling
5th and 6th grader's all about not to take drugs. Most have never heard of
marijuana. By 8th grade they know all about it.

Education works. I work with about 5-600 employees. When I began they
clicked on everything. Today nothing "strange" is clicked on but I'm called
instead.

Most people "want" to know because they are getting tired of it too. I
believe statistics will back me up on this. Less people are exploited due to
the news and such telling about the existing problems. Crackers have had to
come up with more sophisticated means. I just believe EDCUCATION still
works. It doesn't cost more then the "news" media giving public
announcements.

I've read long threads on this subject from the firewall wizards list
- and I tend to side with Solly's argument (though that's mostly
because of Ranum's ability to drive it home).

<rant>
That said, I find it odd that you brought DARE up in defense of
"education works" - when DARE has been shown to not work very well,
and if it did work, the cost associated do not make it very
worthwhile. My introduction to drugs was via the beginnings of DARE,
"Jr. Sherrif's" BS. Bad idea, my curiousity was immediately peaked.

Later in life I had my own kids. One day they brought home a little
notebook put together by upper classman (5th and 6th graders). The
cover had crude drawings of needles and joints, and in big letters
were phrases like "crack baby" and "meth head". My head about
exploded...my kids had no idea what ANY of that crap was about until
the school decided they'd play parent - and did a very piss poor job
of it. After my meeting with them the next morning my kids were never
again involved in such a program.
</rant>

Motivation to accept education in the workplace can go a long way -
but it won't cure the problem. Just looking at the IT groups of the
companies I've worked for bear that out.