funsec mailing list archives

Re: DHS Wants Cell Phones to Detect Chemical, Radioactive Material

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione ids pl>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 17:53:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Brian Loe wrote:

I think I get your point on false positives for chemicals - but
radiation?

Smoke sensors, antistatic brushes, certain watches, radiotherapy patients
on the street (they already set off airport alarms). And it's not exactly
illegal for unlicensed civilians to buy and posses small quantities of
radioactive material, you know.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering how much fun it must be to be an amateur
or professional chemist who for any reason handles nitrides... just how
much fun it must be at the airport.

/mz