funsec mailing list archives

Re: DHS Wants Cell Phones to Detect Chemical, Radioactive Material

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:35:10 -0500

On 6/6/07, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:

On 6/6/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

> > Yes, for new cell phone sales.  IIRC, has been for a year or two now.
> > This has been  discussed off and on for its security and privacy
> > implications for a while now.
> >
> > > Huh.
> > >
> > > My phone must be illegal in the USA then.
> >
> > Not illegal to use -- just to buy new I think...
>
> All the same, I'll make sure I don't take it to the Land of the Free.

Feel free, if it works over here in the first place. The law is
another one that I believe was passed by Clinton. I believe it simply
states a minimum percentage of phones in use that have to have GPS
built in - and the reasoning for this was finding people who dial 911.
They can't always triangulate the location of your phone via towers.
Clinton liked these kinds of laws, just like all television broadcast
signals must be digital by a certain year; all channels must be high
def by a certain year; etc.. Stupid, unConstitutional BS.

Not to argue with the privacy issues here, but a story us Kansas Citians
have been following mentions the use of tracking the missing teenager's cell
phone. Not sure if that got the authorities closer to finding the body, but
there was a fair bit about analyzing the cell phone signal.

Tragic story.

http://cbs3.com/topstories/topstories_story_157081929.html