funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where's Waldo? (challenge)

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:15:49 -0400

On 6/6/07, sam stover <sam.stover () gmail com> wrote:
> what if you had a picture taken while holding both a cut-out of Waldo,
> and today's paper in addition to the ransom note demanding 12 million
> dollars for Waldo's safe return?

Hahaha - that's the best post in this thread I've read yet...  ;-)

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this post *validates* the whole
thread - even if we don't find an answer.

What about the idea of taking digital copy of the Waldo picture and
then using a warping algorithm that will distort waldo(but leave him
recognizable)  and then severely distort the rest of the image?

The friend could find Waldo, enter in his coordinates to the warping
app then generate the warping algorithm (that would not disclose the X
or Y coordinates) and send it to his opponent. The opponent could then
run the warping algorithm on his copy of the digital Where's Waldo
exercise and validate the  whole shebang.

now all thats left is to code the warping app and develop the algorithm...

.. that isnt part of the exercise is it? (O_o)

-JP

--
S.f.Stover
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x15FFC42A