funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where's Waldo? (challenge)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:58:24 -0400

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:40:03 CDT, Brian Loe said:
On 6/5/07, der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca> wrote:

I don't think so.  I actually haven't seen any solutions to the problem
as propounded.  All the "solutions" I've seen don't prove anything to
anyone until after the "proof" recipient has found Waldo - this may
have been acceptable by the intent of the original author of the
problem, but it's sure not how I read the wording.

That's not true. If I give you coordinates from some reference point
to where Waldo is, and you can't find Waldo (you give up and want me
to prove that I did find him) I simply give you my reference point
(same as I would have had you found Waldo). You then follow those
coordinates to Waldo and see that I knew what I was talking about. If
you can't find the reference point and give you coordinates to it from
a mutually known point (the upper left hand corner of the page, etc.).

Again, that's a case of "You give information up front that later allows you
to show that you did know where Waldo is".  Until the person gives up, they
can't *verify* that you knew where Waldo was. The question is "give sufficient
info so that they can verify *now* that *you* know where it is, *without*
giving away the location.

You've given them a sealed envelope that you claim contains a picture of
the kidnap victim.  That's different from giving them a picture they
can clearly see and verify.