funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where's Waldo? (challenge)

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:05:45 -0500

On 6/6/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

Again, that's a case of "You give information up front that later allows you
to show that you did know where Waldo is".  Until the person gives up, they
can't *verify* that you knew where Waldo was. The question is "give sufficient
info so that they can verify *now* that *you* know where it is, *without*
giving away the location.

You've given them a sealed envelope that you claim contains a picture of
the kidnap victim.  That's different from giving them a picture they
can clearly see and verify.

Okay, nevermind, I give up. I thought this had something to do with
anything and was wrong.

I will go on record as saying I believe it to be impossble to do
because short of showing your opponent where Waldo is there's no way
of him KNOWING you know where Waldo is.